Saturday 20 August 2011

Goodbye Bafana - a student's film review

So, I have been trying further my knowledge of development and globalisation before we go back to college and as I have been doing a lot of reading for my EPQ, and I fancied a bit of a break, I thought I would watch a few films. The first one up is 'Goodbye Bafana'.

Based on an inspirational true story, Goodbye Bafana tracks the unlikely but profound relationship betwen James Gregory, a racist South African jailer, and his prisoner, Nelson Mandela. Gregory is ordered to spy on Mandela because he understands Mandela's native language. No one expected that a friendhsip would grow between these two very different men and through Mandela's influence, Gregory's world changes forever, along with that of every person living in South Africa.

So, is this a good geography film and what did I learn from watching it? Well, any film that is set in another country will instanly provide an insight into that country and this film very clearly depicts what life was like for everyone, not just prisioners, in South Africa at that time. The issue of apartheid is a key theme that runs throughout and is very important in relation to how it affected the development of South Africa. It is because of this that it is a good geography film as it presents some of the reasons for the development of South Africa and why it still experiences many issues today. Due to this, it is definetly a film to watch if you can find the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment